Reliable evaluation of mitral regurgitation (MR) is critical in assessing the severity of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) patients. Nevertheless, recent studies demonstrated high variability and limited reproducibility in the MR measurements using the standard-of-care CMR indirect volumetric method in HCM patients. This article evaluates 4D flow CMR jet tracking as a potential alternative method for assessing MR severity in HCM patients compared to the conventional CMR indirect method, with respect to reproducibility, analysis time, and agreement with transthoracic echocardiograph.
What is the current state/problem in practice?
While mitral regurgitation (MR) evaluation is critical in assessing hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) severity, current standard-of-care CMR indirect volumetric method demonstrated high variability and limited reproducibility in the MR measurements in HCM patients.
What is the ideal state/ if the problem is gone?
Article presents 4D flow CMR direct jet tracking as a potential alternative method to quantify MR severity in HCM patients with excellent inter- and intra-observer reproducibility and higher agreement with echocardiography compared to the conventional CMR indirect method.
To close the gap outlined above:
1. Learners need to review the challenges of the current CMR method in evaluating MR in HCM.
2. Learners need to understand sources of variability in the conventional CMR method for MR quantification in HCM patients.
3. Learners need to understand the presented alternative 4D flow CMR jet tracking method and how it can improve reliability of MR quantification in HCM patients.
The Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (SCMR) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Credit Designation Statement
The Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (SCMR) designates this Journal-based CME activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit (s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Instructions for Claiming CME
- Attend the sessions in full for which credit is sought
- Complete the post-activity evaluation
- A certificate of completion will be available once the evaluation is submitted
The planners and faculty for this activity did not have any relationships to disclose.
Disclosure of Commercial Support
Please see the bibliography at the end of the journal article.