- Increase knowledge about sex differences in left ventricular remodeling in response to chronic aortic regurgitation
- Understand limitations of echocardiographic measurements in the setting of increasing LV dilation
- CMR provides increased accuracy of LV remodeling indices, that can enable the development of sex-specific LV remodeling criteria for surgical referral
What is the current state/problem in practice?
CMR assessment is not routinely included in the routine work-up of chronic aortic regurgitation, and current guidelines are based on one-size fits all echocardiographic based LV size/LVEF criteria.
What is the ideal state/ if the problem is gone?
Sex specific thresholds for surgical referral may improve outcomes and quality of life, particularly in women with significant chronic aortic regurgitation.
Following this activity:
1. Learners need to know about (knowledge): the presence of sex differences in LV remodeling in response to chronic aortic regurgitation
2. Learners need to know how to apply (intention to put into practice): recognize that increased symptoms in women with moderate aortic regurgitation may be due to blunted compensatory LV remodeling, compared to men.
3. Learners need to do (perform): obtain CMR in patients with significant aortic regurgitation and suspected LV dilation, to provide more accurate assessment of LV remodeling, particularly for women.
The Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (SCMR) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Credit Designation Statement
The Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (SCMR) designates this Journal-based CME activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit (s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Instructions for Claiming CME
- Read the article in full for which credit is sought
- Complete the post-activity evaluation
- A certificate of completion will be available once the evaluation is submitted
The planners and faculty for this activity did not have any relationships to disclose.
Disclosure of Commercial Support
Please see the bibliography at the end of the journal article.